When it comes to orthodontic treatment, many patients wonder, is it worth it? What results will I see? What are the benefits of orthodontic treatment? These are all perfectly normal questions.
Here are some answers. Braces can straighten teeth, close gaps, and correct spacing, resulting in a more comfortable, functional, and confident smile. While many assume that braces are primarily for improving appearance, that is only one of the many benefits of straight teeth.
Correctly aligned bite and spaced teeth can provide the following benefits:
- Alleviate unnecessary wear and grinding that can lead to TMJ, neck pain, or headaches.
- Prevent ineffective chewing and digestion problems.
- Form a dental profile that is less prone to tooth injury.
- Help those with speech impediments speak clearly.
- Improve oral health by helping create spaced teeth, making them easier to brush and floss.
- Lead to healthier gums, better prevention of cavities, and prevention against periodontal disease.
- Contribute to a positive self-image, which encourages effective dental hygienic habits that preserve your beautiful smile.
After your orthodontic treatment, you may need to wear a retainer. Made from acrylic or wire material, your dentist will take an impression, or mold, of your newly aligned teeth for a proper fit.
Wearing retainers after getting braces is essential for the overall health of your teeth. They will help you maintain teeth alignment for a long time.
Lingual braces are placed behind the teeth (by the tongue and palate), rather than in front, and therefore offer a great cosmetic alternative for those who want their teeth straightened without the braces showing. This partly explains why they are more common among adults than children. One other advantage is that if you play a wind instrument or a sport, lingual braces are easier, more convenient, and more comfortable than traditional braces.Read more about Lingual Braces
If you live in the Jacksonville, Florida area, visit our team at Reedy Branch Family Dentistry or call us at 904-363-3559 to make an appointment.